NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro Imaging Biathlon

oceanheadted

For some time I have been wondering how to combine my two main interests - cross country skiing and astronomy. The recent weather has crystalized the concept...

Astro Imaging Biathlon

I imagine the competitors being equipped with a short tube refractor hooked onto a DSLR. This would be mounted to be carried with a rifle configuration with a sling so it could be carried over the competitor's back during the race.

The competitors would then ski a course and have to image targets at set points on the course, standing and prone.

At the end of the race time pentalies or bonses could be added to skiers for the quality of their images (or picking the wrong object).

I imagine this would be more popular in continental Europe than in the UK...

The big draw back is you would need good pisted snow conditions and dark clear skies, so the logistics of the competition could be difficult.

any takers?? :hello2:

Alan

:p As someone who shares your interests I think it sounds like an excellent plan. It would have to take place in Austria or Scandanavia of course ~ :hello2: no problem.

:) Unfortunately judging by recent efforts I would be penalised for missing all intended targets ~ maybe I could get bonus points for the surprise objects which turn up in my images! :)

Liz :(

Archived