What am I looking at

I decided to get up early this morning and gaze at Mars and Saturn. However while I was setting up and in between stints at the eyepiece I was just looking at the sky. Every now and then I saw a "soft" glow which I have always put down to owls flying over a light source. But at five o'clock in the morning there does not seem to be a light source in that area. Also, at about five thirty there was what looked like a meteorite coming out from Gemini in the west - except that it was too broad. It lasted for about a second. Lastly at 5:40 there was a very bright flash on a straight line between Saturn and Mars, but nearer Saturn (about one third of the way towards Mars). Can anyone guess at what I have been seeing with these three different "things"? They are intriguing me to distraction.

Incidentally Saturn was beautiful and I am thankful for one of our members for drawing a sketch of it recently. It really helped me.

What you could be looking at are satellites and in particular to the bright flash, that was in all probability an Iridium Flare. If you look up the free program Heavens Above by Chris Peat, you can can find all the information about satellites and the ISS visible from your location, can`t help on the soft glow though.

John.

Many thanks for this information glowjet. A great site added to my favourites. However the flash does not appear to tally with times for iridium flares or the space station. It was at 5:40 this morning alt. 44deg, az. 200deg approx. from near Warminster, UK.

Archived