NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what to do

Hello everyone, Can anyone help me, just got a Reflecting Telescope TA800x80 for xmas and havent a clue what to do, the instructions that came with it only told how to put it together which I have managed to do, but havent a clue how to operate it, please help.:hello2:

I believe this is one of the Jessops scopes ?

I don't know the scope personally but basically, assumining your have managed to assemble it OK from the instructions, you should have a couple of eyepieces with it - put the one with the largest number on it (something like 20mm or similar) into the tube that sticks out of the side of the scope. That tube is focussed (moved in and out) by a couple of wheels - that focusses the scope. You point the scope at what you want to look at (not the Sun !!!!!) and move the focus wheels slowly to bring the object into focus in the eyepiece.

Thats the bare bones basics of it.

If you have a finder scope (a little scope mounted on the side of the main scope) that needs to point exactly where the main scope is and it's best to adjust that in daylight by lining up on distant object like church spire or similar. The idea is, if the main scope and the finder scope are aligned, you find what you want to look at with the finder scope (a bit like a gun sight) and then it should be in view in the main scope at low magnification.

Hope that helps - keep asking the questions !.

Hello Lea

Like you I got one of these for Xmas, a surprise present, and I'm a newbie to this world.

My instruction leaflet said to aim it at a terrestrial object at least 1/4 mile away, bring it into focus and tighten everything. Then line up the red dot in the finder scope.

My neighbour saw me struggling to do this in the street since the object is seen upside down. He suggested I buy a lens for terrestrial viewing.

Could someone tell me what lens I need for this and where should I look on the web to buy one.

Thanks DD

I have the same scope as you.

I hope you don't mind if I back up and just make sure you have covered the basics. You only "need" the image erecting eyepiece if you really care to see "upright" terrestrial images. It won't help much in the sky as the field of view is fairly narrow.

SnS 10mm erecting eyepiece for reflecting telescopes

Do you know exactly where to point the scope (otherwise you won't see anything)? If not, a book like Nightwatch by Dickinson and/or Skymaps.com (free monthly map download and object list) are called for.

Have you adjusted your finder to match the main optics? If not, do it during the day or evening on a distant terrestrial object (just don't point anywhere near the sun). It doesn't have to be 1/4 mile away, just use the farthest thing you can see.

Using the scope during the day (avoid the sun) is a good way to get a jump on night sky viewing. The best option is to get some help from a person who has done this before. Try to find a local astronomy club, most will be happy to help.

Once you have the above two taken care of, first focus in on the moon with your lowest power (highest focal length number) eyepiece. To find the moon, point the scope toward it. As you get closer and closer the view through the scope will get brighter and brighter. When it is at its brightest, then focus (make the bright spot smaller and smaller) till it is clear. If the object gets bigger, you are going the wrong way. Next use the finder to point toward other objects (from the maps). It is often easier if you first locate the brightest deep space objects (currently double cluster, andromeda galaxy, Pleiades, large open clusters, Orion Nebula) in binoculars first.

Is this the kind of information for which you are looking or do you already know all of this?

hey i got my TA800x80 for xmas too. it takes about an hour or so to get your red dot aligned with the telescope and you need a damn good eye to see the red dot. i may use the scope 2nite to look at Mars which rises around 19.00 to 20.00 at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one for my wife at Christmas and we have tried everyday since to line up the locating scope - we are convinced that the red dot is only on intermittantly but from what you say maybe its not.

I did contact Jessops but the Customer Service guy admitted no one in his offcie really had any expertise on scopes! It was him that pointed me to this site

Anyone else got any tips on this part of the setting up process?

There don't appear to be any instructions available for these scopes and Jessops clearly don't seem to be interested in the supporting the products they sell which supports the long held advice not to buy telescopes from camera dealers !.

Scouring the web I have come across this manual for a Skywatcher newtonian scope which looks very similar in design to the Jessops TA800x80:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/16.pdf

The Skywatcher scope is slightly smaller in aperture and focal length that the Jessops and it has an optical rather than a red dot finder but I reckon the principles will be the same.

I hope it's more help than Jessops have been !.

Thanks for that suggestion - its been very useful and I seem to be sorted now.

In passing - ref not buying a scope from a camera outlet - fair comment but complete newbies have to start somewhere when buying a speculative present for their wives and it was cheap!

Archived