how much are roll of obs?

Hi

There are a number of books available with full instructions on how to build a roll of roof Obsy if you do want to have a go yourself . Building a Roll-off Roof Observatory: A Complete Guide for Design and Construction Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series: Amazon.co.uk: John Hicks: Books

You could also check out the prices here Welcome to Alexanders Observatories although depending on where in country you are located it might be worth giving FLO a call as I know they are also in discussions with manufacturer :D

Jon

I'm just building a roll-off so these prices are current: (in round numbers)

Metal shed: £200

Professional laid base inc materials: £150

Concrete pier base/shuttering for shed etc: £50

Timber frame for shed & roof: £100

Nuts bolts & screws & locks & wheels etc: £150

Sealant & paint: £50

Total: roughly £700 - notice that is all the bits and pieces that soon add up!!! It is still considerably cheaper than any "professional observatory". Whats more you can make a "bespoke" design to suit your own situation.

Could I have made it cheaper? - maybe - I used stainless screws for everything - and bought more than I needed!, Bought a cut-off saw (included in the above prices!) and did not skimp at any stage. I have about £20 of wood unused. So I suppose I could have saved £50-£100.

Getting the roof to work was easy!! The difficult bit was the doors (due to the shed design - not my handiwork!!)

Have a look at m'Blog (In the signature) to see how it all went together.

Also: http://linnhe.co.uk/index.html

And at: http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/PutlandsObservatory

Hope this helps.

thanks for all the info and links maybe ill leave the observatory for a while haha im not on that type of budget yet haha im only 17 lol BUT my brother has 2 sheds so maybe i could sort out a deal with him and get 1 off him and then maybe work on it from there

Sorry if I've put you off, it wasn't my intention to do so!! I must admit I have given the prices that I have for a "brand new everything" build. On reflection I reckon that you could build a basic roll off shed, most likely from wood, for considerably less outlay. Without a solid base - just use paving slabs - I reckon that you could build something basic for around a couple of hundred - especially if you can get a good shed for "free" to start with? if you are prepared to do quite a bit of the work yourself.

Can you get anyone to weld for you? Or can you do it yourself? If so you can make one very cheaply. I've made three. If you go for a roll off roof the building has to be big enough for you to occupy. The cheaper method is to make a thing like a roll off sentry box, MUCH smaller. It only just fits round the scope. I welded up a frame, stuck it on wheels, clad it in plywood, set some rails on the ground and there you go.

There is a book by David Arditti (Setting up a Small Observatory) which has my roll-offs in it and many more cheap designs, too.

I've only just realized that my website doesn't really show them clearly but you can get a glimpse of them on the Astronomy page.

:: Sun * Star * France ::

Olly

Archived