NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I like using Gimp, as I like Linux, but recently got Windows 7 on a new laptop (I was surprised to find that Linux is not as well supported with Astro software than Windows). I was pleased to discover both Gimp and Stellarium run on Windows.

I've been using PS.E7, for Carboni's plugins, and because I can't work on RAW files in Gimp in Linux for some reason.

So, I was wondering, does anybody know of a set of tools like Carboni's that will work with Gimp? Or any documentation that details how to build scripts to perform similar operations?

M.

I like gimp too, but the problem for astro images is that gimp only uses 8 bits per channel. When you do lots of stretching to bring out faint details you are really pushing the limits of a small part of the dynamic range.

In the gimp faq it says that they are working towards a new underlying processing engine that will work with higher bit depths. The work is partially complete.

The same faq lists a couple of alternatives, but I've never tried them.

Yes, although while PS.Elements works at 16 bit, as soon as I use a Carboni plugin, I get a warning that Elements will convert my file to 8 bits. Some operations in PS.E7 entail reduction to 8 bit for some reason. So, unless I want to upgrade to the full-blown PhotoShop proper, I lose nothing by processing in Gimp - because anything I might want to achieve with DSOs will be degraded anyway.

One thing I have now found is that 95% percent of the processing I need to do on planetary images can be done better within Registax - and the other 5% can be done usinng basic PSE operations rather than Gimp. I guess I could do the same DSS, and not bother with the Carboni plugins - but they do pull out stuff I've not managed to find a way of getting at any other way.

M.

Archived