skymax 127 storage

hello all, i have a skymax 127 on an eq2/3 mount and I must say I'm having a great time with it. i have a couple of questions though,

1 i have an outside brick built unheated shed which is waterproof but a little draughty. is it OK to keep the scope in here?

2 does anyone have any decent links for help with polar alignment?

3 how can I tell if the collimation is in good order?

:)

Collimating a Newtonian

To check collimation point at a mag 2 star, such as Polaris. Then bring it out of focus. If you get nice concentric rings of light, with a black inner circle, like a donut then it's ok. If the "donut" looks streched to one side and is not concentric in anyway then you need to collimate.

AstroBaby wrote good guides on both collimation and polar allignment, check them here:

Astro-Baby Telescope Help

The scope can be stored outside. Some scopes have a "cardboard" tube instead of aluminium, if thats the case with yours the shed needs to be dry. If it's aluminium it will be perfectly safe to store it there, just cover it so it won't get too much dust and keep the caps on.

EDIT: Ops I just noticed you have a mak. Those links are about collimation on a Newtonian...

I suspect one can at least HOPE that a new MAK127 would be in collimation. To check, the guide to such things, is sourced here: (semi-random link): http://content.telescope.com/rsc/img/catalog/product/instructions/inst_makcasscollim.pdf

Basically, If it ain't broke, don't fix it? MAKs tend to hold, whatever collimation, as is... :)

Keep the mount in the garage? Keep checking on it's condition. Personally, I'd keep the MAK itself, indoors, close by me. <G> Transfer it to a outdoor environment just prior to observing... to allow cooldown. :icon_eek:

I keep the mount and scopes in the garage. It's close to outside temperature, well a lot closer than indoors anyway. I normally put the Mak out about 30 minutes prior to use to allow cool down. I had to collimate my Mak, it was quite a way out, it's a right pain to do though as you have to use 2 and 3mm allen keys. I'd go along with the if it ain't broke don't fix it.

No worries about storing it in an outhouse, as long as it is secure. In fact, it will keep the scope closer to the external ambient temperture and will reduce cool down time. I leave both my scopes in an outhouse and can use them immediately, once set up.

If it's draughty, I would just suggest maybe covering them with an old blanket or bit of tarp, just to keep the dust off.

Archived