reflector with goto?

So I'm almost to the point where I'm gonna order a new celestron 6 se. The only thing in the back of my head is everyone saying that with an 8" reflector I will get more for my buk. My questions are what is the maintenance that has to be done to reflectors and how often, as far as adjusting and what not. And second is it possible to get celestron mount with goto and have a 8 in reflector on it? And will that be a better choice than the 6 se? Thank you guys for your help, I really appreciate it. I'll anxiously be awaiting some of your answers... thank you

Here is a Celestron 8" newt on the GOTO CG5 mount:

Advanced Series GOTO - Celestron C8-N GT (GOTO)

The optical tube is the same as the Skywatcher 200P I think but the CG5 is a bit more sturdy than an EQ5 due to the 2" diameter tripod legs.

I've found that reflectors don't a lot more collimation adjustments than schmidt-cassegrains in reality - you need to be able adjust it on both types of scope to get the best out of them.

The 8" EQ mounted newt is a lot more bulky than the 6SE though....

John

So I'm almost to the point where I'm gonna order a new celestron 6 se. The only thing in the back of my head is everyone saying that with an 8" reflector I will get more for my buk. My questions are what is the maintenance that has to be done to reflectors and how often, as far as adjusting and what not. And second is it possible to get celestron mount with goto and have a 8 in reflector on it? And will that be a better choice than the 6 se? Thank you guys for your help, I really appreciate it. I'll anxiously be awaiting some of your answers... thank you

Or buy one like mine. It's more of a push-to. It tells you where to point but you push it yourself cause there are no motors. That means you have to do the tracking but it also means you don't need power tanks and recharging. A standard 12v battery for the controlor and you are done.

Compared to the 6SE you'll be able to see more but say goodbye to that degree of portability. Mine is 4,5 feet by 8,5", give or take, and weights 42lbs. Still manageable even with a small car but not exactly a grab and go. All 8" reflectors, be them on dobson mounts or EQ will have this transport problem.

It's one of the few Dobsodians with GOTO so if you don't want the hassle of setting up an EQ mount every night but want the goto, it's the right thing.

On all the reviews I read the optics on the Orion dobs ware rated slightly above Skywatcher.

Here's the link if you want to browse.

Well an 8" Refelector on a GoTo will be more bulky and will be much heavier as you need counterweights, more power etc etc.

You'd see more but not that much more. Collimation is easy enough really. Its one of the things you just have to learn. Bit like accepting if you go skateboarding sooner or later you'll graze your knees :icon_eek:

I must add, you need to understand what conditions you live in to choose the scope better suited to you.

As an example, this ware my conditions:

Portability: My house is in the middle of vineyards 25km from the nearest town, almost no light pollution and a good backyard. So I don't need a portable scope, I don't need to transport it. That narrowed it down to a reflector.

GOTO: I had no previous experience. I had a feeling I would prefer to learn the sky but I wanted to avoid frustration. So YES on GOTO.

Aperture: The biggest I could easily carry outside in one piece. I have no patience to setup anything after developing stuff all day. I'm getting (was) into astronomy to relax. That narrowed it to nothing above 30kg (60ish lbs) when fully assembled.

Setup Time: None if possible. Removed EQ mounts from the picture as well as standard GOTOs with power tanks, cables and whatever. The only thing left was a Dob.

Then I searched for a dob with goto and less then 30kg and found an 8" one... end of story. :icon_eek:

In other words: You need to understand what are the advantages and disadvantages on each type to pick the best suited for you. It's something no one else can decide for you.

arrite guys thanks for the advice i think that the 6 se best suits me for now. ima go ahead and order it, and later on if im really into it ima get a nice reflector. i never thoughtordering my first telescope would be such a long process. i hope im ive made the right decision

Archived