NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CPC 925 GPS (XLT)

Hi All,

Just wondering if the mount on the Celestron CPC 925 GPS (XLT) is stable enough for DSO shots? Or, given 2,000 pounds; what would folks here buy for a mount & scope to do DSO? It'll be for prime focus with a modded 450D to begin with, then later next year i'll move to a better CCD.

The 300p FlexTube Auto can be used purely for visual work then as it was designed for, since that appears to be all the tracking is any good for, from what I've been reading. I have a low lux colour CCD video camera, that i'll have a go at the moon / planets with through the dobs, since the relatively fast frame rate should help with the lack of accurate tracking (I think I read that correctly :icon_eek: if not i'll soon find out).

I just ordered Steve's book to start some background reading, but thought i'd ask the experts before leaping off any more bridges with cash.

Thanks in advance!

The problem with the CPC is it's an alt/az design so you need to put a wedge on it to get it polar aligned. I don't know how good (or bad) the wedge is but generally, people go with an EQ6 mount with a smallish (80mm) high quality refractor for starters... The short focal length (600mm on an 80ED) means you can get away with less accuracy before your mount will need guiding. You will also need a remote shutter release for the Canon (£30 off ebay) or control it via an attached PC.

Be warned, it's s slippery slope and it gets expensive....

Thanks for that!

I definitely don't want to be messing around with wedges, so I'll definitely be looking for a strong EQ mount instead of the Alt/Az. I'm not in any big rush as I can play with a low lux hi res colour video camera I have, for some moon / planetary work through the dobs until I know enough to not be too dangerous to my health and wallet :icon_eek:

Thanks again.

Archived