Can't identify star :S

Hello there,

There is a very bright orange star/object between Leo and Cancer that i can't nseem to place on my star chart. I am seeing it just by eye, no telescope.

Using google sky, if i had to roughly guess the location it shows the figures

RA 9h28m 04.98s

Dec 20" 29' 54.91"

sorry for my noobness, can someone help :S

Thanks in advance

Haha!!!!!! Thank you so much :headbang:

How ashamed am I!

I have so much to learn ^^ thanks again.

No reason to be ashamed. Planets move around the sky.

You should install stellarium, its free and better for astronomy. If you set the location it will replicate your sky at any time/date you want, including planets positions.

Though, Google earth still haves the best DSOs pictures.

Did the same about 4 weeks ago. Came out to drive to work and saw a nice red star below Castor and Pollox. Spent 3 days trying to find it :headbang::confused::D in books and on the planisphere.:D

Suddenly it dawned that it was RED. Checked where Mars would be and it was right where I was looking.

did the same thing but backwards the other week. came home from work at about 6.15 am, dragged the new dobs out for a squint at mars and then having noted previously where saturn would be i swung ove rto look at it. very bright blob but couldn't see the rings, now a bit of mist might account for the rings and the blob but not with it being so bright so i checked the colli which was spot on.

took another 10 mins before i clicked that becasue of a few clouds i'd lost my bearings and it was arcturus :headbang:

Archived