NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A brief encounter with Tau Tauri and a security light

DarkerSky

After what seemed like an eternity of not having the time or a cloud free night to get out under the stars, I managed all of about 45 minutes yesterday evening (23/11) before the cloud began to roll in.

Set up my 8.5" and set about getting into things with tracking down the Tau Tauri double star system in Taurus (of course :D). The double is very obvious - the primary star being a striking white/blue colour at mag 4.28 and the secondary at mag 7.14. Set about studying the area to prepare for a drawing of it. Used x120 through a trusty Plossl and moved up to x240 with my barlow to try and get a handle on any fainter stars around and about. Finally decided to start a sketch of the double system at x120 when on pops my backdoor neighbours security light....grrrr

10 mins later and it is still lighting up my garden....so onto Plan B >> move the plant pots and get the scope next to the fence for a bit of light shelter.

Ok...back to the eyepiece to find the double again...but where's it gone?? Behind the advancing veils of high cloud :headbang:

Oh well, sometimes you have good nights and sometimes you don't.

Packed away and inside for a cuppa.

I definitely share your frustration with the light. They make me want to buy a catapult! My next door neighbour's comes on and stays on for over 5 minutes Crazy really as we only have farmland that backs on to us, with over 8ft thick of hawthorn riddled hedge, 7ft high.

Great tip for Tau Tauri, so i'll definitely be looking out for it. I think we were sharing the same high cloudd, so heres hoping to clear skies later this week!

Archived