heritage 130p

Hi there.

Im total newbie so my opinin doesnt have to have weight but in my eyes it is absolutely superb.

I bought it about 2 weeks ago and i already had very good time with it. Small,light,transportable,well built.

The views are excelent if you have good view conditions.

On the other side i have nothing else to compare it with, but i definitely got what i wanted.

If you are lookng for good starter scope as i was then go for it without hesitation.

Clear Skies :headbang:

Skywatcher scopes are very good, for a first scope I would advise 150mm but 130P does perform very well. The Heritage is a flex tube which makes it lighter but you need dark skies with no light pollution to use a truss design because there is no tube to protect against LP - they are just more portable because they are shorter when flexed in and weigh a bit less but 130mm scope are light anyway so don't see the point. They have same optics as the Explorer.

JohnH.

Get the tube one and problem reduced - but if you are thinking of a 130 I would really save a bit more and go for the 150, 130 are good but 150 are proper sized scopes for serious viewing and will give significantly more detail. Light pollution filters are excellent at screening out that orange horror 20 foot away but work better on larger scopes as they take out the yellow/orange.

JohnH.

ND filters are polarising filters for the moon similar to a moon filter they reduce glare of moon and increase contrast, at high magnif moon will be much dimmer anyway only use for wider views which can be too dazzling.

See how bright moon is through your scope if you are not dazzled then you don't need one and at high magnif moon will be much dimmer - they cost as little as £15 for a basic filter.

Light Pollution filters are for city astronomers with orange lights around and they cost £20.

John.

See how you get on with the scope before you decide what filter, sometimes adding a foam nosepiece to the scope can help with light pollution as you don't want the orange light shining down the scope tube or up the focuser. LP filter will help with nebula in darkening the sky removing the yellow/orange pollution and making them stand out more with improved contrast.

The constellation called Orion is rising and has object M42/3 which is the brightest nebula in the sky and LP filters will improve the view very nicely indeed.

John.

I have the Heritage 130P and think it is a fine introductory scope for the price. More aperture is better, but costs a lot more. The 130P only takes 1.25" eyepieces (like most small reflectors).

I found (for comparison) that objects in my 8" dob were either twice as bright (same magnification) or twice as large (same eyepiece).

I'd like to know what you think of it... It looks like a cool little scope.

btw an ND filter isn't polarising, but rather just blocks light. The amount of the ND determines how much light is blocked or passed. ND - Neutral Density means it doesn't affect the colour.

Archived