Cleaning Filters

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on the correct way to clean a filter? I recieved my UHC filter from FLO this morning (super fast delivery, THANKS). I took it out the box for a quick check and looks good. Although it doesnt need cleaning now, i was just wanting to know how to clean it if the situation arises. I have read lots on cleaning lenses etc and wasnt sure if these get cleaned the same way.

Thanks

Most filters can be cleaned with an air blower brush, Baader, and I assume other good quality makes, have surfaces protected to allow carefully cleaning with lens tissue in the event of finger marks, Baader produce their own cleaning fluid/kit.

Hope this helps.

John.

For general cleaning a soft cotton bud moistened with water or very mildly soapy water.

Or use a diluted ispoprop alchohol / water mix - this works best in my experience. The IPA evaporates almost immediately leaving the surface pristine.

If it if has a true disaster such as being dropped in mud, immerse it in warm soapy water, dry with a soft lint free cloth and then wipe with the isoprop/water mix.

The isoprop takes off any film left by the soap.

You can immerse a filter because theres nothing for water to seep into UNLESS its something like a variable polarising filter. Most filters being a bit of glass in a retaining ring are safe enough to immerse.

For general cleaning I use a lens pen which works well.

IPA - I usually get mine from a local chemist. A medium sized bottle with about 500ml will last you a lifetime. You can also usually get it in small bottle in HiFi shops as its used for cleaning tape heads. It comes neat but I mix it down as needed to about 10:1 water (10 parts) IPA one part.

It has many uses - be wary of it neat. Its toxic and will dissolve many types of plastics very quickly which is why you have to be wary of it with eyepieces for instance. Mixed down I have always found it safe enough though.

I was advised never to use it on mirrors though as the mirror coatings are more fragile.

I dont use it that much as I prefer to use just water for most things. Its rare to have to get the IPA out.

I find the Celestron lenspen works wonders on all the stuff I have. I try not to use IPA too often as its quite a 'stroppy' chemical and prefer not to inflict it on optical stuff unless as a last resort. I smudges some mascara onto a Hyperion last year and only IPA would have removed that. A normal peril for us girls with EPs I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Archived