NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Feel like an idiot, but how do I attach these lenses to my XT8?

The filter will screw into the base of your eyepiece. The Barlow lens fits into the eyepiece holder on your focus tube and the eyepiece then fits into the Barlow lens.

For the barlow I did just that. I see nothing when looking into the sky.

With the standard 25 mm eyepiece and looking at Jupiter I see just the circular planet (looks white) and 3 specks of light orbiting it. I really thought Id see a much better and larger view of the planet. Its just a white circle, and really small.

With the 25mm, you will only be getting 48x magnification - you can't see any detail with that - if you put the plossl into your 3x barlow you will get 144x magnification - you should see some of Jupiter's coloured bands, but it will still be pretty small. For observing Jupiter, you want 200-250x magnification (after that, it is down to the atmosphere).

When you use your barlow, you will be seeing a much smaller area of the sky, so it is important to centre Jupiter in your 25mm view first (or better still, anticipate where it will be in the few seconds it takes you to stick the plossl into the barlow then into the scope - it can take a bit of practice to go straight from low magnification to high). :rolleyes:

Don't worry - I can see plenty of banding and colour with my 4.75" scope - 8" gives you way more detail.

For observing Jupiter, you want 200-250x magnification

Not with the thing rolling along the horizon ... poor seeing at low altitude is much more likely the problem you're seeing no detail.

I find Jupiter doesn't stand power well even when well placed, 200x needs good seeing and a 10"+ scope.

I've observed Jupiter twice at 200x in the last 2 weeks at about 6.30pm, and it has been stable enough to see 3 bands with a 4.75" scope - although yes, the other 4 nights it was too unstable, as it neared the horizon :)

But Zonify is in Georgia USA, so it is still in a better position for him :rolleyes:

Archived