Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dovetail bars

TheThing

Can anyone help me with some measurements please?

I've got a Nexstar 4se with tube rings, which I want to 'mate' up with an EQ2 (or possibly EQ3-2) mount.

Unfortunately, I can't get the tube rings far enough apart to match up with the bolts on the mount, due to plastic moulding front and back of the OTA.

The mount bolts are 140mm apart and the tube rings can go anything up to roughly 120mm apart.

Can someone measure the holes on a dovetail and tell me how far apart they are please? Specifically, I'm thinking of the SW medium dovetail bar as it's available from FLO and reasonably priced!

Many thanks,

Thanks. Looks like they are too far apart. I've got the small one which is too short. Anyone else have access to any other make which might fit?

If not, I might just have to get the medium SW and exercise the drill (not something I wanted to do. It's not the drilling that's the problem, it's folding the B&D workbench back up that takes forever!)

Why spend on a dovetail when an adapter plate made from aluminium bar - drilled by your good self - will be far cheaper and exactly the size you want?

Try this source:

http://www.modelmakingsupplies.co.uk/

They sell "packs" of useful ali bar at very reasonable prices. (Usual disclaimer).

(I'm not trying to prevent our suppliers trading! Its just that it seems better to make custom parts from raw materials rather than butcher an expensive new component.)

Archived