Polar aligned - at last....

I also had a massive issue keeping polaris from moving when polar aligned on my EQ2 and eventually came to the conclusion my Dec scale was off. To check this I tilted the mount back on latitude axis till the scope pointed straight up, then loosened up the rings enough to slide back the scope all the way so it was effectively hanging straight down. I loosened the Dec, let the telescope right itself - effectively using the light tube as a plumb bob - and looked a the Dec scale. It should have been 90, but was actually 86.

So much for the factory alignment. I am tempted to undo the 2 screws on the pointer and see if I can align it up correctly... but a little scared as a newbie.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update to that. After spending too long mucking about trying to use the light tube as a plumb bob, and realising the rings and micro adjuster were taking it off true, I finally thought, get your spirit level out... and did that instead. I got it level on the tripod, set the RA to exactly 90 degrees, then got the tube exactly level on both sides, then spun it round 180 degrees on declination and did it again. All true now. Unless gravity is letting me down...

Archived