NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Far back in the mists of ancient time ...

Demonperformer

All right ... it was October 10th this year ... I took my recently acquired SE6 and my newly acquired neximager into the front garden to photogaph the terminator of the nearly last quarter moon.

These were the very first images I took with the webcam, and having looked at them as avis, thought they were so bad they were not worth processing [i'm sure I'm not the only one with images like that in our collections].

Anyway, in the absence of any real telescope time in recent mornings, and beginning to suffer withdrawal symptoms, I decided to revisit these and see how they would process. They were all 1800 frame captures and [please remember I was only just beginning to work out the telescope's alignment by this time] the drift was so bad that in one of the avis, the whole frame drifted out of shot in about 2/3 of that time:o So, trying to see the glass half full, I cut that avi into two halfs using Virtualdub and processed two pictures.

Well, the results won't win any awards, but they are a considerable improvement on the original captures. I have attached them at 50% size, having cut out all the large areas of black stuff on the left of each pic.

I guess what I have learned is that it is always worth giving the processing a shot - you never know. Although I would add that there were also some captures in the series that not only looked too bad to process, they actually were - even Registax couldn't cope!!

DP

I like them, especially the first one ;)

I've had similar experiences with Jupiter, where I've captured just a fuzzy blob avi, but then registax did its thing, and out pops a nice picture.

Did you use a moon filter for this? I recently tried my neximage on the moon through my sw127mak, but there was way to much contrast. You seems to have nailed it thought.

Hi Johan

Thanks for your comments.

No Moon filter for these. I find that all my filters [moon, LPR, UHC] all make the object I am looking at turn green and find that weird.

DP

I have read somewhere that a green filter can also be useful in imaging the moon, as it takes away some of the fringing, supposedly increasing clarity.

I usually turn my shots of the moon into monocrome anyway, have you tried that on the miscoloured shots?

Archived