NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just starting out -need to sort out my polar alignment

oceanheadted

I'm just starting out in this deep sky photography lark (my second post on Deep sky imaging). Spent a fairly frustrating evening last night trying to get my polar alignment sorted. Just as I was getting somewhere the cloud rolled in an put an end to my evening.

Also my Vixen GP mount wouldn't do anything more than a 1 star align. I aligned on Vega, then went to Altair (which always seemed a about a degree short) and it did another one star alignment. (it was doing a 2 star one before). Are you better off doing the alignment with an eyepiece than through ths DSLR?

Both exposures 30 seconds on a Canon EOS 300 D @1600 ASA. C80-ED with WOFFII, unguided.

Here's the results..

post-16410-133877404167_thumb.jpg

post-16410-133877404177_thumb.jpg

An illuminated Reticule EP is very handy for alignment i used to use a 12mm one..

I use a reddot finder for coarse, then With a DLSR i use the center focus zone dot for alignment as a glorified reddot and then used the image from the guidecam with a bullseye overlay in PHDGuide for the actual alignment...

I don't have to do this very often though only when I forget to park the scope at the end of an evening and just hit the power switch...

Peter..

Back from my hols last night and there were clear skies and frosty condtions. Improved my polar alignment and managed to go to 53 second subs. I'm a bit disappointed the red isn't coming through very strong, but is it because I'm using an unmodded camera?

oceanheadted-albums-dso-s-picture3056-17-x53-second-subs-unguided-unmodded-canon-eos300d-c80ed-woffii-processing-nebulosity.jpg

Archived