NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are these filters any good?

I've found some filters on the Internet which seem very nicely priced and was thinking of ordering a selection of a half dozen or so. Does anyone here have any experience of or opinion on these? The guy also sells them on ebay.

Colour Filters | Accessories | Astronomica

eBay Seller: astronomica uk: Photography, Clothes, Shoes Accessories items on eBay.co.uk=

And what would be your selection for a general set for a 4" scope; not a light-bucket!

TIA

Steve

Hi Steve.

Which, if any, to get would depend very much upon what you want them for.

From my limited experience using filters on a 4 inch scope, you don't want to go for very dark filters. However, pale filters will do little to enhance planetary detail. I'd go for something in the middle of the range.

I've had a filter from these guys before and the optical quality was acceptable, but not brilliant. (You get what you pay for.)

I suppose if you want planetary filters I'd go for the #21 orange for contrast feature on Mars, the #56 for showing up the polar regions of Mars, and the #12 yellow and #80A mid blue for Jupiter.

Saying this, personally I think you would be best off spending £42 on a Baader Neodymium Filter. This is a single high quality filter originally designed as a broadband light pollution filter (as which, it performs quite well). However, it also acts as a great planetary filter; enhancing contrast across a wide range targets (inc Mars and Jupiter) whilst still retaining a more or less natural looking colour balance.

Archived