Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Am I wasting money???

Hello, wonderfulll community! I am minutes away from purchasing an Orion 8" f/8 Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph as well as an Orion Atlas EQ-G Mount strictly for imaging.....I use a Canon 350....is this a smart buy???

Thanks, All!!!

Gino

Looks OK Gino. The mount will be well within its limits which is essential for astrophotography.

I would get myself a 0.63X focal reducer too.

At 1600mm FL you will be good for targets such as M1, M27, and M51 but with a reducer you will be at 1008mm FL and able to get much wider images of larger nebulae etc.

I would recommend the celestron or meade models.

Astrographs are, in the strictest sense, just telescopes designed to photograph astronomical objects, as opposed to scopes that are designed primarily for visual use and then adapted.

The normal use of the word though is to describe low f-ratio widefield scopes, and it's gradually coming to mean that.

Cheers

Rob

A curious feature of the RC is that it doesn't naturally deliver a flat field. The early versions had curved photographic plates made especially for them. Do these modern ones have a field flattener built in, I wonder? I haven't seen one yet.

It's great that affordable versions are starting to appear. Have you seen Ian King's website recently? His prototype looks very tasty, though it may not be all that affordable, of course.

I think you are going to have great fun with your new setup.

Olly

Archived