NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW Synscan and Celestron Skyalign questions

Dear All,

I have a few questions about the Synscan and Skyalign GOTO mounts, in particular, the cheaper Skywatcher AZ and Celestron SLT mounts. I hope that anyone with either of these mounts may be able to give me their impressions on:

1. Alignment - reading different posts on the forum, my sense is that the Skyalign method (to align the Celestron SLT) is simpler because whilst it relies on three bright objects, their name need not be known. Have those who use the two star alignment with SW Synscan AZ mount found it problematic to find the name of stars first, or does this soon become second nature?

2. Stability - again reading different posts, it appears that both the Celestron SLT and SW AZ mounts can suffer from stability problems, particularly when using a 4kg OTA (i.e. like my Skymax 127 Mak). Is this a real problem or one that is easily avoided (i.e. by not fully extending the tripod legs). I know there are some long posts with reference to this but I'm just interested to hear more opinions from others.

3. PC link - it appears Celestron SLT is easily linked to and controlled by software programs such as Stellarium and CdS. Is it as easy to link SW Synscan AZ mount?

4. Power - I presume both mounts can run from 8 AA batteries. Has anyone problem with battery life?

5. Astrophotography - bit far out this one, but if one were to tilt their mount by 54 degrees (in the same way that a wedge is used) and then perform alignment, would the mount be able to deal with rotation of image (as well as drift across sky)? I realise this would likely unbalance the mount but I'm just after a theoretical answer here.

Thanks very much for any help with the above. Most of all, I'm just after user's subjective opinions to help me decide which mount to buy.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I only have the Skywatcher, so can only comment on that...

1. Alignment - reading different posts on the forum, my sense is that the Skyalign method (to align the Celestron SLT) is simpler because whilst it relies on three bright objects, their name need not be known. Have those who use the two star alignment with SW Synscan AZ mount found it problematic to find the name of stars first, or does this soon become second nature?

You do need to look up the stars at first, so it's handy to have a star map or iPhone app to hand. After a while you learn these major stars' names and it gets easier.

3. PC link - it appears Celestron SLT is easily linked to and controlled by software programs such as Stellarium and CdS. Is it as easy to link SW Synscan AZ mount?
I've just worked out how to do this with the SynScan and a Linux computer! If I can do it with Linux then it'll be the easiest thing in the world with a PC.
4. Power - I presume both mounts can run from 8 AA batteries. Has anyone problem with battery life?
Mine eats AA batteries - about 4 hours from a set of 8. Get a powertank.

hi

i have the celestron slt,like you said,point to 3 bright stars,one can even be one of the planets,just make sure date and time put in,has to be put in every time you use it.

forget batterys get a power tank.

it is a bit unstable,i put a piece of cardboared between clamp and tube.

Archived