Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for a darkish spot near Salisbury

I think the title says it all - I live in Salisbury and and looking for a site which I can visit quite easily when the skies happen to be clear. It seems qutie a few people on here know the area. Having consulted a light pollution map and the good old Ordnance Survey map that hangs on my study's wall, I've spotted a couple of likely looking places with small car parks, and I wondered if anybody knew them, and had any recommendations or warnings about them.

I've seen one little car park at grid ref SU057191, which seems from the map to promise good views in most directions (and particularly to the south) and another at SU002194, although I'm a little worried that this is next to trees. There's also a quiet little road which peaks at about 200m altitude at grid ref SU003267, and I reckon it'd be possible to park there.

Anybody been to any of these spots? If not, I'll do a recce and report back what I find for the benefit of others in the area, but if anybody happens to know them already it'll save me reinventing the wheel.

Hi, I'm up in amesbury and have found some good spots on the plain. The best is on the military road from tilshead as it has a good southern view and plenty of trees to shield the lights from the occasional passing vehicle. I can show you where it is if you fancy meeting up?

A few of us here are/have formed an observing group. Next session is on Friday 16 October near stourhead on the other end of the plain. Details are in the astro events and local meetings pages.

I'll check your grid refs when I get home- I'm at work at the mo.

Look forward to meeting you soon and wish you clear skies.

Mark

Archived