Complete novice

Hi I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could advise me on a good first telescope for my soon to be 5yr old son, he is really showing an interest in the moon and stars, and I want to get a good one that he can actually see the moon through very clearly so he doesn't get bored if we can't see anything, I also want one that is good enough for me to use too, I'm willing to spend around £150 on one I understand they can run into thousands but if you can advise on the one you would buy if you had 150quid.

Thankyou so much in anticipation.:D

hi

here are some that would maybe fit, its refraktors, as they are easier to use without having to colliminate them.

Evostar - Skywatcher Evostar 90 (AZ3)

Evostar - Skywatcher Evostar 90 (EQ2)

Startravel - Skywatcher Startravel 80 (EQ1)

something like those.

i had a 60mm refractor when i was a kid, and it gave me a lifelong interest for astronomy, and all things related to it.

good luck with your start in this hobby.

alfi

Hi Alfie thanks for your quick reply, I have seen that the skywatcher 150PL is also recommended if I could stretch my budget would this be a good bye do you think? I would really appreciate your advice don't want to spend alot and then not to use it.

Cheers Cootie

hi

the newtons are the ones that give you the most for the money.

if you use something to let your child stand on, it would be ok, because the newtons have the eyepiece up on the tube.

the refractors have the eyepiece down low, thats why i recommended it for using together with a child.

but use something to stand on, and a newton or a dobsonian is super.

like these: Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130EM

Sky-Watcher SKYLINER-150 153mm (6") f/1200 Parabolic Dobsonian

hope this give you some tips, all those are good starter scopes i think.

alfi

I am totally new to this game so I am not in a position to offer any advice. What I can offer however, are a couple of observations on the 150P after just purchasing one.

If like me, you have only ever seen what amount to toy telescopes in the supermarkets etc, you may be a little surprised how big and heavy these things are. Unless you have lots of space I would strongly advise you to go and view some telescopes in the flesh. This could have a significant influence on the type and size of telescope you purchase.

Another factor that I did not consider is that the eye piece on a reflector is at the top of the tube. The implications of this were totally lost on me until tonight, when it became apparent that my 9 year old daughter was not tall enough to use the thing. Even with the tripod at its lowest setting, viewing Jupiter, which was fairly low in the sky, she had to stand on a kitchen chair.

Don't get me wrong I am really pleased with the 150 but knowing what I now know, I may have given the more compact designs a little bit more consideration. :D

I have seen that the skywatcher 150PL is also recommended if I could stretch my budget would this be a good bye do you think? I would really appreciate your advice don't want to spend alot and then not to use it.

The SW 150PL is a great beginners' scope but is far too large for a 5 year old (this comes from someone whose priorities are aperture, aperture & aperture - in that order). I know these things are subjective and that children don't mature at the same rate but TBH I'd say that the 150PL is "12+" ... the equatorial mount is a complication too.

Celestron & Skywatcher are both doing small Dobsonians which are "table top" sized and will do just great for a small child, who will be able to use them - just make sure that they're supervised during the day (SUN!!!) - these scopes will give excellent views of the Moon & brighter star clusters etc. Also look out for small (3-4") Newtonians with a "bowling ball" mount, IMO these would be excellent for a child up to 8-9 years old.

Thankyou so much for all your advice, we have alot to think about, we have a skylight up in our attic bedroom which is the size of a double room so no problem with space really the room isn't being used for anything at the moment.

Thanks again, I will be onto you all again soon I'm sure.

Cootie

Based upon my friends experience who recently bought a scope for his 6 year old grandson, I would recommend a refractor and not a newtonian. They're just too bulky and too high for young kids. And they just don't look like a pirate telescope to a 5 year old! Also, try and avoid mounts which have counterweights - unfortunately most have them! They're just two tempting for inquisitive little people with tiny fingers!

Pete bought on of these

Startravel - Skywatcher Mercury 705

It's easy to set up and it has been very well used.

Hope that helps you

Steve

Hi,

Great to see someone so young interested in this hobby. Hope he keeps it up!

Try and avoid viewing out of a skylight as heat rising from the roof will make your views very unsteady! Best place is out in a garden (if you have one) or other open space like that (park, common, relatives garden etc etc). Putting the scope on grass is also better than concrete or paving slabs (again, heat rising!)

We'd all be very interested to know what you buy and how you get on.

I can't thank you all enough for all your help and advice, we will let you know what we buy and how we get on with it my mind is buzzing with all the telescopes we have to review but I'm so glad I've joined this site.

Archived