what am i doing wrong

:(last night i thought i might try and take a photo of jupiter using my canon eos 10d dslr camera , so i found jupiter no problem there, then attached the camera to my scope no problem there took the photo theres the problem it was just black nothing there i wud really apreciate if sumone could help me , im struggling big time trying to figure out what i need to do

DSLR camera is not good for planet photography, what you need is web cam. I have had the same problem with my DSLR, although it was good at lunar photography.

Also important the aperture of your telescope. What scope do you use?

What you can see through the eyepiece is hard to photograph because you do not use your EP when attaching your DSLR.

Resonator

:(last night i thought i might try and take a photo of jupiter using my canon eos 10d dslr camera , so i found jupiter no problem there, then attached the camera to my scope no problem there took the photo theres the problem it was just black nothing there i wud really apreciate if sumone could help me , im struggling big time trying to figure out what i need to do

Did you alter the exposure time and ISO Settings?

Try doing it on manual speed mode. Try something like 10 speed (wicth is a tenth of a second) and boost the ISO as high as 800 or even 1600. You should probably get something, even if it's all fuzzy. If you still get nothing try decreasing the speed even more, though I doubt you'll be able to get anything sharp at lower speeds, without some kind of camera holder and an auto-tracking telescope mount.

PS-> I never did astrophotography, but I venture a lot in amateur earth photography and have a couple DSLRs + 5 Lens at home.

i dont know how to chanme the iso part lol

If you have a sony or canon DSLR I can give you some pointers. Anyway ISO is very useful on every day photography and the camera manual will tell you how to change it for sure. Try reading the index to know what page mentions it.

ISO is the sensitivity of the film to light intensity in non digital photos. In DSLRs its the gain (boost) the sensor will give to light received from what you are shooting.

For example:

- You should use ISO 100 for outdoor shooting in sunny days,

- ISO 200 for cloudy days or indoors when you have some decent daylight coming in and you don't want to use flash.

- ISO 400 or 800 at museums when you are not allowed to use flash.

I think you get the point: The higher the ISO the more the camera makes up for dim light conditions. (Some times it adds some noise/grain if the ISO is too high.)

I hope you get the oportunity to have another go at Jupiter tonight, if you are near me in the West Country you will only photograph miserable clouds. At least you are starting with a decent DSLR, my first efforts were with a film camera & spent a fortune & waited weeks for blank prints to return from the local chemists. As pvas has said, sort out your ISO & shutter speed settings & perhaps experiment with the moon. I suggest using a remote release & set the camera to BULB and then experiment with anything from 1 to 20 seconds until you get results & then fine tune from there. Like all hobbies, you need to persevere & practice & not set your sights too high early on. If and when you produce picture perfect master pieces, sell your gear & go and find another hobby as you will have nothing left to look forward to.

Good luck

Archived