Things to look for ?

Try these:

M31

M27

M57

M13

M45

Alberio

If you check out the other threads there is the same question so there will be loads of other lists there too

Good luck

:o

How do i find directions for Alberio as stellerium is not coming up with anything when i search ?

im pretty new to all this i havent found it myself but i found this on net so im gonna follow this:

"Alberio is in the constellation Cygnus. To find Alberio look for a bright star in the northern sky that seems to make a cross with about eight other stars. Alberio is the bottom of the vertical cross piece." it also says "Right Ascention: 19h30m43.3s Declination: 27deg57'36" "

:o

Hi Dazraz, here's some tips about getting to Albireo:

I find it easiest to go out looking as soon as you seen the summer triangle appearing. Once it gets darker, the amount of stars increases and so Albireo will be harder to find.

Hunt down Cygnus - start with the brightest star Deneb, that marks one corner of the Summer triangle, and trace its shape. Albireo is the 'bottom' of the cross. It is positioned more or less in the middle of the Summer triangle. Get your RDF (or whatever you use as a finder) on it - it is unmistakable through the EP. You'll know when you've got it :o Here's some wikipedia info for you on it.

Stellarium might not be coming up with any info on it because of the spelling. I've seen it written Alberio and Albireo, but Stellarium works with Albireo :)

Good luck

The reason you aren't finding it online may be because it is spelled A-l-b-i-r-e-o, as Amanda spelled it. It is a gorgeous sight, and to the west of it is the Dumbbell nebula (M27 IIRC), and in the other direction, towards or in Lyra you will perhaps find a Globular Cluster I can't remember the number of, and the Ring Nebula, M57. Near Vega is the Double-double, a pair of close binaries, a little difficult to split.

Sorry there, I didn't read the last sentence in Amanda's post. Albireo is correct. If you find it online under another spelling, it's because the poster didn't know how to spell it, either.

Dazraz

I think the cluster which Warthog is referring to is M13 in Hercules (right of Lyra) - definitely an impressive sight.

.. and once you've found Albireo, M27, M57 etc, change direction and point the scope roughly in the opposite direction at Perseus. There you'll find the Double Cluster. Use a low mag EP and have a good, long look. Then over to the right a bit and have a look around for the Andromeda Galaxy - M31

That should keep you going for a few hours!

Steve

There are a couple of threads like this (not complaining, mind! They've given me some ideas!)

Would it be an idea for someone to produce a sticky each month, just giving a short list of items that those starting out can have a bash at?

Dazraz

I think the cluster which Warthog is referring to is M13 in Hercules (right of Lyra) - definitely an impressive sight.

Steve

No, it isn't, Steve. :) It's a smaller glob that is roughly on a line between Albireo and Vega. I'm at work atm, so I don't have time to look it up, just enough time to bop in here once in a while. :o

Archived