NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Petavius

minimalist

Long time since I shot the moon. I decided to give my 40D a last swan song before the new camera arrives, so I hooked it to the ultima the RC and took some videos of the moon. The seeing wasn't very good, but I was experimenting with different picture styles to see which worked best on the moon. I eventually settled on a monochrome, with a green channel filter (only uses the green pixels) with zero softness and a slight contrast increase.

Anyhoo, here are the specs. Unmodded Canon 40D, celestron ultima barlow working at about 3x, Astrotech 6" RC scope, russian liveview capture software (about 20fps capture rate). 2000 frames out of about 4400 stacked in avistack, finished off in photoshop.

Comments, critique welcome, thanks for looking. :D

Daniel

post-16782-133877397058_thumb.jpg

Hi James,

Thanks for the comments. I think I see what you mean, the dark areas are not totally black. I didn't intend that, I missed getting the dark areas black for some reason. I'll go ahead and correct, thanks for pointing that out.

Daniel

Thanks John! Tbh I was really surprised how well it came out given the sky conditions that night. As a comparison, here is the only other pic of it I did two years ago, with a C11 and dfk camera, which is supposed to be a good combo. I don't know if it was seeing (probably), my skills (probably) or the quality of the optics (probably not), but the results were terrible compared with this scope.

I also redid the current image, setting the black point properly I hope. Any other suggesations on how to improve it greatly appreciated. I still haven't figured out how to make it less contrasty without losing detail.

Thanks again.

Daniel

post-16782-133877397215_thumb.jpg

post-16782-133877397219_thumb.jpg

Archived