Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY8 & Focusmax

Hi folks,

I just got a QHY8, my first introduction to CCD imaging

I've been trying to use it with Focusmax, it seems to find a star ok but then starts to fail when focusing, saying the star is too weak

Reading a few things online it looks like there are issues with the binning mode of the QHY8 and Focusmax, does anyone use it or am I wasting my time?

I'm using version 3.4.30 from the CCDWare site

Thanks

Euan

I used FM with my QHY8 without any issues, but it was well over a year ago since I last used it, so I cant really help much. Just ensure you are not using 3x binning, choose a larger search area, and choose your focus stars carefully.

I used FM with my QHY8 without any issues, but it was well over a year ago since I last used it, so I cant really help much. Just ensure you are not using 3x binning, choose a larger search area, and choose your focus stars carefully.

Cheers Steve, I thought you would know :D

Binning is set to 1 and even when I change it and start running, it reverts back to 1 and greys out.

It seems to see the star fine, and has it framed in Maxim, then when it starts focusing I can see it disappear, it makes a larger FOV to try and find it again, but it's always nothing except a black frame with no stars. When it does the full frame it sees it again and goes round in circles a few times then gives up. Guiding has been fine the whole time and star hasn't actually moved

Will have another play next time I'm out, no doubt it will be something daft

Thanks

Euan

setting binning to 2x (or 4x if FM supports that), you will get far far far more data in the short exposures than FM uses. Also, there is a search area or something within FM.

This was my post to the FM mail group after I got it all sorted out

Just in case anyone else runs into PAM + Maxim + QHY8 not liking each

other, here is the issue and the solution for future reference:

PAM by default tries to image with 3x3 binning mode, but the QHY8

drivers do not support that mode (1/2/4 bin only). This causes PAM to

tell Maxim to take a 3x3 bin image, the QHY8 drivers return instantly,

and Maxim is unable to pass/save an image to the required location.

The solution is to open PAM, select the "plate solve" tab and change the

binning mode in bottom left of window. Click on "Change Scale & Binning"

button and select a valid bin mode for the camera and drivers.

I`ll try to dig out FM and install it again (I dont have a focuser unit any more), and se if I can remember which options other than the binning I changed.

I *THINK* it was the "Frame Width" option on the setup tab that I increased. Alternatively, you may want to make the "Exp (Sec)" value a little higher.

That makes sense. The default is 100 pixels, but for some reason its when it goes to that size that it fails so I will have a play with the settings

Just need a clear night to sort it out, but looking at the weather reports I could be waiting a while :D

Archived