Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anybody used an Astronomik OWB filter?

As my CCD budget may have just been spent on something non-Astro :D i'm considering getting my 1000D "modified" for astro use. I'd like a DSLR for daytime use too, but i'm wondering how well the Astronomik "original white balance" filter works with a modified DSLR - the alternative would be to put the cash towards a used 350/400D for my daylight camera.

Any experiences?

Ben, I'm assuming the mod will include the baader BCF replacement filter. In that case, as Peter mentioned, all you have to do is shoot a pic of a gray or white wall and set that as your custom white balance in the camera. Works great. It will actually improve skin tones a little, since the deeper red response of the baader filter will give a bit more "flush" to the warmer areas.

If you do no replacement, then of course your daytime use will be limited, as you'll lose autofocus, and also lose infinity focus on some lenses. That's the way mine is modded, and instead of the OWB I bought the Luma filter, which works the same as the baader replacement filter.

Daniel

I've been considering getting one for mine, but then it would only be for the convenience of not having to post process, which 99% of the time is simply a matter of clicking 'auto-correct' in the photo software.

I'd be more tempted to spend my money on other filters.

I've got a set of 'terrestrial' pictures on my Flickr account which have been taken with a modded 350. They are slightly rosy, but nothing major, and, as said above if you've got the time to set up your shot, you can quickly to a custom white balance in the press of a few buttons.

IMG_15760088 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Archived