NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advise on new scope

Hi, this is my first post as I am totally lost. I have a Meade 4505 (I think thats the model number) I bought the it second hand for £50 off a friend. It has done me well, but now I feel it's time to upgrade.

As I currently live in a City light polution is a big problem, but we are moving to a more countyr location will less light.

With my new telescope I would like to carry on observing planets and possibly look at nebula's etc. My current scope has no motor's so tracking is done manually and can be a pain. I would look for a budget of about £300 - £400. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have read various sights on what they say are good, but I am still not sure. I like the build quality of the Meade one I have and am not sure if the Meade ETX 105PE would be good for me.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Firstly welcome to SGL :D.

That kind of budget does give you a few good options. Dobsonians are the best 'bang for the buck' because they have a newtonian scope on a basic mount. What this means is you can buy a big scope for not a great deal of money, like these ones: Dobsonians .

You have mentioned that tracking can be a pain and as you're aware, you can buy motorised mounts, so a driven alternative could be this: Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 (the add on motor: Skywatcher - Single-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ3-2 )

And then you have your GOTO mounts, but then you're paying more for the mount and the electrponics in return for a smaller scope: Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO.

HTH

Tony..

Archived