Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good view of Jupiter

The Warthog

Last night (Aug 31) after I stopped looking at the Moon, I turned my scope on Jupiter. I began having some wierd fogging problems after the Moon exploration, and my 7.5mm Antares fogged up completely. I spent a lot of the time looking at the planet through my 4.3 mm W70 which gave a surprisingly good look at Jupiter, even though it considerably overpowers my scope. I was able to see the equatorial belts constantly, and sometimes had a very clear view of other belts and zones. I am still looking for the GRS. I don't know if I have a chance at it tonight, but I'll try if it's there.

The Moons were the star of the show, if you had time. When I was watching, Io and Europa were so close together they could not be separated. I watched for about 20 minutes, hoping to see them separate, but that was all the time I had, as I have to work in the morning. Still an enjoyable time, and I've been having my best views of Jupiter ever.

And again tonight I spent a short time on Jupiter. I could see the bands on the planet very well, but I still wasn't sure if I were seeing the GBS (Great Beige Spot) or not, although there were some times I could have descried a 'thickening' of the band whether or not it was in the right place. Always a pleasure to look for.

Hello Warthog,

I was also watching the the moon / Jupiter last night, 1st time watching the moon it was fantastic. I enyoed it most through my 25mm EP as I could see the whole moon. But did go in for a closer look with my 10mm / barlow x 2 which was very impressive. Can you recommend a good site where I can learn what the areas of the moon / craters are called.

Whilst observing Jupiter I could only see 3 Moons for a while then when I Went back, 2 moons were very close together, so I checked on stellarium to find out what had happened. It looks like lo dissappeared behind Europa is this correct ?

Thanks Ian

That's quite possible, as it happened the night before. By the time I was looking at the planet, the moons were spread out neatly. The plane of Jupiter's moons is edge on to us at present, allowing for occultations and eclipses. Late tonight (I think) the moons are supposed to disappear, as they will all be either in front of or behind Jupiter.

Google "S&T Jupiter moons" to go to S&T's excellent Javascript which shows the position of the moons, and lists the events that are occurring.

Archived