which scope and which book?

Hi,

I want to get a telescope that enables me to view stars, the moon, planets and their moons and maybe more. However as a beginner I know very little of the capability of telescopes, and what you would be able to view at what powers.

I was thinking of spending up to 100 pounds, again i don't know how this price fits into all of this.

a helpful book/guide would not go a miss either.

Thanks

Jonathan

For £100 I would suggest that a pair of decent 10 x 50 binoculars and a good book such as "Turn Left at Orion" would be better than a telescope. I think you might quickly get dissapointed with what you can see with a £100 scope to be honest.

John

I agree with John. With £100 you would need to buy secondhand, and there are no descent scopes around at that price. You might get a cheap argos no brand make but then you will be very dissapointed.

A good pair of 10x50 bins and the Turn left at Orion book.

If you can stretch your budget a little more, you can get a very decent Skywatcher 130 that will more than suffice for a beginner and keep you going for many years to come.

Turn Left can be borrowed from your local library, thus saving you a few quid to put towards your first scope!

Archived