Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Goto and auto guiding question

Catanonia

Just a quick one, I think I know the answer but just want some backup on this.

If I 3 star align and get my target in the center of the FOV with my mount and then autoguide on it, the auto guider will move the mount to ensure everything stays in one place.

Now if I stop autoguide and goto another object and back to original object, will it be in the same position in the FOV as initially after 3 star alignment ?

Sounds a bit complicated, but the my reason for asking is that with all the clouds around, my autoguiding may fail and of course I loose the target. Now most times I am at the laptop when this happens, but sometimes I might miss it for 10 mins. The problem then is that the object I am imaging has moved because autoguiding has failed.

Is it just a simple case of re -goto'ing to the object and start autoguiding again or will it all be 'off' ?

The mount should still be tracking even if the guiding system goes down so the object still should be FOV or pretty close to it if you have to 'reset'. If you goto another object you should let the guiding software re-calibrate before guiding again.

Tony..

Cheers Tony, as I thought the mount should carry on, just not as accurately.

Been a few times when the clouds have rolled over and I loose guiding. 1/2 hour later I am wondering whether to re-align or goto object again.

Archived