Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Auriga Clusters (and a Smiley face)

mike.brightmore

Around 2.00 am on 22 August went back to look at the open clusters in Auriga (following the earlier thread - A night with the clusters). I did this because I hadn't described them very well and a few of our newer members are looking for Messier objects. Well the main reason was I have never really noticed the 'big smiley face' in Auriga often referred to by Talitha.

Auriga comes across as a big pentagon rising in the North East sky with the bright star Capella in the top corner. After roughly estimating where the centre of the pentagon was I then scanned the area below and to the right of this cenral point with the binoculars. Very quickly an arc of 7 bright stars came into view looking just like a big smile. Above this were the two eyes and in between a lob-sided nose (I'd never noticed before but this does show up well on Stellarium. What a really cheerfull sight this was in the 25x100 binos.

Just beyond and above the left-hand tip of the mouth was the first cluster - M38. Clearly visible as a large, somewhat hazy cluster in the bins with some of the main stars resolved. The 9x50 finderscope could hardly pick it out but through the telescope all the cluster stars were clear. In fact a smaller telescope would have been better so as to see the whole cluster in the context of the background stars.

M36 was directly below M38 heading towards the centre of the lowest side of the pentagon. This was a more compact cluster with brighter central stars. Just visible in the finderscope and the telescope was ablaze with bright stars. Again a wider field view would have been better.

M37 was about the same distance again below M36 and just outside the pentagon. This is a larger and fainter cluster than M36 but again a wonderful telescope object.

I have included quick stacked AVIs of these clusters (which I use as thumbnails for my observation log). This forum is getting me into good habits. (Moderator, please don't transfer to imaging thread as they are not worthy).

Again thanks to Talitha for the tip about the Smiley Face. I know where to go now when I need cheering up.

post-15108-133877393043_thumb.jpg

post-15108-133877393049_thumb.jpg

post-15108-133877393058_thumb.jpg

post-15108-133877393066_thumb.jpg

Don't worry Mike, when images are posted as an enhancement to a wonderful report like this, the thread will remain right here in the Observing Zone where it belongs. :)

Thanks for your report, and i'm glad you liked the SmileyFace.. it always cheers me up, too. You mentioned a 9x50 finderscope.. is it on the 25x100s?

Archived