M31 - just getting started

Sparrow

After finally sorting out major problems with my new CG5 mount set up, I've finally got everything working as it should. By the time I was up a running last night, all I had time for was 15 one minute subs before the cloud came over but thought I'd share my early efforts. Much more data needed and it looks like I'll be able to go up to 2 minute subs as the mount is tracking so well (unguided). Can't wait to get my new camera later this year - aiming for a Canon EOS1000D. Still working with a Meade DSI version 1 at the moment.

It may not be very good, but I'm enjoying myself learning.

post-14401-133877392878_thumb.jpg

You say it's not very good but it's not bad at all for 15 minutes. M31 is very difficult despite being so bright. the problem is the dynamic range across the galaxy with a bright core but faint outer regions. You've got the main dust lane very clearly without badly burning out the core. Very good for starters in my book

Thanks Martin for the very kind words. Gives me hope for the future.

BTW - forgot to say in my original post what equipment I used:-

Celestron CG5 mount

Skywatcher Startravel 80 (piggybacked on my Celestron C8- N GT)

Meade Colour DSI (the oldest one) with Autostar software

Darks taken and applied with the Autostar auto routine

0.5 reducer

UV+IR cut filter

Neodynium filter

3 cups of coffee

15 x 1 minute subs

Autostar stacked image further processed in Registax5 and Paint Shop Pro v.7

Archived