Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which usb video capture with PHD/Guidedog?

rikyuu

hi,

I started to test my kit yesterday, with a view to autoguiding. I'm using the Minrton video camera with an 'Easycap' USB video capture device connected to my laptop. This device works fine with any video capture software, however, when I try it with PHD (selecting wdm capture device) it says 'can not connect to camera'. With Guidedog, it completely crashes Windows XP, with a blue screen and memory dump. These 2 work with a webcam fine and I've tried all the other camera options in PHD.

So I would be very grateful if anyone knows of a USB (or PCMCIA) video capture device which is compatable with either software?

Other than that, I think I have all the kit and I'm raring to go with autoguiding!

Many thanks

I think I've managed to sort it......

In case anyone else has the same problem, it seems that with Guidedog, Guidemaster and PHD, some other video capture software has to be running prior to running either these. Then they recognise the camera and don't crash windows. Initially they open with a blank green screen, but when the video capture software is closed, they then display the camera image via the USB capture device. Seems to be some quirk in how they all work.

I've ordered a cheap PCMCIA video capture card to see if this works any differently.

Now I just need a clear sky!! I'm looking forward to trying autoguiding.

Archived