Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter's new dark spot

rusirius

I was watching Sky at Night today (repeated episode from earlier in the month) and there was a few minutes devoted to a dark spot that had appeared close to one of the Jovian poles. Because they showed images of the planet with the spot both at the to and then at the bottom I can't be sure which pole its the closest to. The cause is currently unkown but there is some speculation of a collision.

I'm wondering whether anyone had seen this spot at all, or indeed whether it is still visible and with an amateur telescope? It did seem quite large in the images shown, probably similar in size to the red spot.

Thanks brianb for confirming that. Jupiter is always a worthwhile target of course, but due to ill health over the last few months it has become rather difficult for me to do any observing for any length of time with a scope so I have contented myself with using bins for short periods. I just wanted to know whether there might be at least a chance to spot it which from my point of view might make getting the dob out worthwhile. Its a bit hazy here at the moment so I fear the seeing will not be that good, but if sky clears up a bit a bit more then I might just gove it a try.

There was a good thread on this impact scar a couple of weeks ago (Dark impact mark in Jupiter's south polar region - 19 July) this link should get you there..... http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-planetary/83664-dark-impact-mark-jupiters-south-polar-region.html

I have seen recent photos of it taken by amateurs but I havent had the right conditions to observe it visually.

Archived