NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Truss Dob mirror cell question

weareborg

Hi guys and gals

I am thinking of making a 9 point flotation cell for my 8" mirror, but I dont know if it going to be a bit of an over-kill. This will then be installed into my 8" truss dob design. What do you guys think????

Andy

Thanks Arthur for the reply. My mirror in question is from a Skywatcher Explorer 200 OTA. Not sure on the thickness because i've not removed from the tube, as of yet. As for the material, I guess I'll have to do some searching. Unless anybody here knows what material the Skywatcher mirrors are made from????

Andy

In that case, the cell it comes in will be fine! I'd would say just transplant the cell/mirror together and drill the required three holes in the proposed mounting for the collimation bolts. Simples :)

Much more secure than other dob-type methods, and collimation is more likely to last a session.

Arthur

I was thinking of doing that originally to save time and money, but I thouight I would just ask 1st. I guess all I need do then is make up the rear tail-gate and mount the mirror cell onto that. Correct????

Andy

LOL. yeah I dont want to go down that route. As it is at the moment, Im still in the early planning stages, as Ive just purchased a copy of 'The Dobsonian Telescope' aand I havent been able to pu it down. Its a great book, with surprising easy to follow step, albeit, for a much larger dob than mine, but i can easily scale it down.

Archived