SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finally a break in the clouds

Leegsi

Finally we have a break in the clouds.

Been waiting for a clear night so I could try and see Jupiter for the past week.

Well tonight it finally happened :).

Moon was very bright and quite close to Jupiter but I still managed to see it and although I couldn't see distinct banding I could see 2 darker bands across the planet and 3 moons and possibly a 4th (Could see one on the left and 2 to the right of the planet). When I upped the magnification I 'think' I could see another moon next to Jupiter on the left (This was about 10.30)

Saturn was my first planet and that was quite easy to tell what it was but wasn't sure what to expect from my set-up (Skywatcher 130P and a couple of eye pieces). For a relativity cheap set-up so far I have been amazed at what is out there and what is possible to see.

Just cant wait to the star party now and see what I can learn from others :)

Hi Leegsi,

I'm quite new to all this and recently bought my first decent scope a Skywatcher 200p second-hand. Been out looking at jupiter tonight and think I may have seen 5 moons for the first time :). Not even sure if it's possible with my scope hopefully someone else on here can tell me. There seemed to be 2 close in on one side and 2 far out on the other side which I've seen before. Just before jupiter passed round the side of the house I'm sure I could see a 5th moon appearing (about 12.10ish using my SW 10mm EP). There it was just off the disc of jupiter on the same side as the 2 far out moons. Got some not bad views of the bands although they were coming and going a bit. What a great night just about to go back out for a bit.

I'm the same can't wait for a star party some really dark skies and some experts to learn from. :)

Cheers

Hi Leegsi,

Congrats on the scope, I upgraded to a Skywatcher 130 myself on Monday, and tonight I was out for the first time with it, and watching Jupiter too.

There was lots happening and I've just been reading up on it in a magazine. Apparently the two moons on the left were Ganymede and Europa (Europa was closest to Jupiter - almost touching through my scope). Io was pretty much hidden as it started to transit at 00.19 (GMT) and Callisto was stuck way out on the right. What I also took to be the forth moon, just beyond Callisto, is apparently the star '45 Capricorni' (+5.9 mag so only slightly fainter than Callisto) which Jupiter has been occulting since 1st of the month.

This may also explain how Stev 74 managed to see 5 moons!

Hope this helps and I'm not just being a complete anorak.

:)

Hi Harmartolos,

Thanks for that, your not an anorak was hoping someone could explain it for me. I must of just caught Io before or after the transit and confused the star '45 Capricorni' as an extra moon oops!! :)

Still it was a good night overall even with the full moon!! Just nice to have clear skies for a change even if it wasn't that dark. :)

Cheers

Archived