Need help buying a new telescope

Hi i'm new to the forum and would like some help buying a new telescope. I have no idea what brands are reliable and what sizes are best for looking at certain objects.:)

I am on a tight budget, only got around £250 to spend so bare that in mind.

thanks in advance

Hello Pilchy.

You will get lots of advise on this one but before i give mine click the First light Optics banner at the top of the page, lookup telescopes of the Skywatcher brand within your budget and make a few notes, then tell us the ones you like and what you want to do with it. after that we can help you spend your money then all you have to do is give Steve at the above a call and you will be good to go.

Until i know what you want to look at and what your observing site and your health offers it is very hard to suggest a scope.

Regards Mick.

As a starter a 6" or 8" reflector is a great introduction, most people have started or have owned one and in many cases still do :).

I'd go with either this one: Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

or this one: Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian .

The top one has a smaller scope (6"), but has an Equatorial (EQ) mount which is initially quite confusing, but once you have sussed it, I reckon is easier to use especially once you have added motors to it to track objects through the sky for you. The bottom one has a larger scope (8") but is on a much simpler mount which have to 'nudge' to kepp the object in the eyepiece as it moves across the sky.

A lot of people like dobsonians for their simplicity and the fact you can buy a big scope for not a huge amount of money. Personally, I like the EQ mounts as I find them easier to use once they're setup.

HTH

Tony..

hi, I meant to put £150 instead of £250

need to cut my budget down a bit. Can't really afford a descent sized telescope, e.g. 6", 8" or a 10" one even though I would like one.

Is anyone considering of selling a 6" or 8" reflector telescope if so send me a PM

I would like to be able to see objects that are in deep space.

thanks

As a starter a 6" or 8" reflector is a great introduction, most people have started or have owned one and in many cases still do :).

I'd go with either this one: Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

or this one: Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian .

The top one has a smaller scope (6"), but has an Equatorial (EQ) mount which is initially quite confusing, but once you have sussed it, I reckon is easier to use especially once you have added motors to it to track objects through the sky for you. The bottom one has a larger scope (8") but is on a much simpler mount which have to 'nudge' to kepp the object in the eyepiece as it moves across the sky.

A lot of people like dobsonians for their simplicity and the fact you can buy a big scope for not a huge amount of money. Personally, I like the EQ mounts as I find them easier to use once they're setup.

HTH

Tony..

Thanks Tony,

how high are the diobsonian telescopes because after looking, they're about 5ft

regards Pilchy120

Hi guys I already have a 4.5" reflector that I had off ebay for £40 2 years ago.

Would sell it to get some extra money for a new one, but not guaranteed a lot for it, so at the minute I'm stuck

Pilchy120

Archived