NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

basic astrophotography guide

hi all:)

i have decided to have a go at astro photography.. i have done the camera at the eyepiece bit and have not too bad results on the moon but for planets etc techinique needs to be better

i am using a tall 100r fi0, camera is a nikon cool pics 950..what is the best way to mount the camera on telescope...do i use an eyepiece between the camera and scope or do i use a 2x barlow i also intend to use my sony alpha 200 dslr again the same questions apply

i realise that adaptor rings will be a must but will i need to use eyepieces in between ...appart from that i am a wee confused :icon_scratch:HELP

regards chazbear

Hello "chazbear!"

If you are using your Nickon Coolpix 950 "afocally" (against an eyepiece) you will need a suitable bracket to connect camera to your scope. "First Light Optics" sell one (as in my photo below) for around £30.

I'm not yet into Astrophotography with a DSLR, but I've heard that when using a DSLR (your Sony 200), you can remove the lens and fit the camera direct to the scope, without any eyepiece (or Barlow) in between camera and scope. The image will fall direct onto the Camera's "chip."

I think other members of SGL will soon come along to give you more informed advice.

Best wishes,

philsail1.

post-13436-133877388102_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877388104_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877388107_thumb.jpg

post-13436-13387738811_thumb.jpg

Archived