NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12 inch Revelation Dob questions

My 12" scope is currently out of action and is likely to be so for a long while, due to problems with the mirror cell and the friend who made it (he's an amateur telescope maker) can't do anything with it for a while. It's home made and very heavy and cumbersome so I am looking at replacing it with an (hopefully!) easier to use off-the-shelf Dob, such as the Revelation 12" from Telescope House. I understand that the OTA is a bit of a lump, but I am sure that it probably weighs less than the OTA of my current scope (my current scope weighs around 40kg).

My main reason for considering the Revelation is that it costs £550, which is a great price and I can afford it within a few weeks. I am then going to start saving for an Orion Optics 16"...

For those who have the Revelation 12 inch, what do you think of it? How much does the OTA weigh? What are the pros and cons of this scope?

I am not that concerned with planetary viewing, although I do like to have a quick look at whatever's around at any given time, I am a deep sky observer.

Many thanks

T.

Archived