SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Yet another first view of Jupiter

Jarndyce

I've only had my scopes since Christmas, so Jupiter's been too low for me to see until recently.

No work tomorrow, and by midnight, Jupiter had cleared the various houses/trees in my view to the south east, so I thought I'd take a peek.

It's difficult to put into words how I feel right now, although I'm ashamed to say all I uttered was an expletive when I first looked through the EP. :D

I just wasn't prepared for the clarity and definition of the the disk and cloud structures.

Absolutely awesome - in the true sense of the word. :):D

Wow....

Thanks Carol.

Hopefully some more clear nights coming along at the weekend, so I'll try using filters to examine different features. Not sure if my equipment - or seeing - is up to spotting the recent impact mark, but I might borrow some of your tips and have a go at some astronomical sketching.

M13 looked pretty good last night, too. :)

I think so too, Mel... more action (imo) with Jupiter than there is with Saturn. There's the GRS to see, and also the moons hovering near the planet like little fireflies around a streetlamp. Also the shadow transits, and if you're lucky, the actual satellite transit.

Jarndyce, i hope you're clear this weekend. Best of luck with seeing the new impact site and by all means, make a few sketches... they make really neat souvenirs of an event. :)

The filters will definitely enhance your view and make it easier to see details, but they don't actually 'bring anything out' that's not already in an unfiltered view. Again, good luck! :D

Isnt it brill !!! I never get tired of the view of Jupiter and personally think its a better 'WOW' factor than Saturn.

I agree, AB.

I believe Jupiter has a rotation period of around 10hrs, so hopefully I'll get a view of the red spot some time.

But not tonight. It's cloud central...

Archived