Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celestron finder-scope, polar part number: 94221

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and have recently purchases a second hand 8" Helios Newtonian Reflector (F/5) on a EQ5 mount. This is a major upgrade from the 5" I had before. Everything is working well optically, but I have tried to get a polar-finder scope for the mount with no success.

I have found out from reading some of the questions about polar alignment that the tube that is missing from my scope is the same as a Celestron 94221 that is now discontinued :) I found one on the net in the USA but the company won't ship outside the US.

Does anyone know where I might get one from, or even have one to sell? I hope this is posted in the right place and apologies if it's not.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Tony,

I've tried both these, the EQ5 mount one has the same thread as the one I have the date ring and 3 adjusting screws, but the main tube is .125mm too wide. the EQ3's tube is narrow enough but it is a push fit and is not compatible with my mount! If it helps I could take a photo of what I've got?

Many thanks,

Paul

If it helps I could take a photo of what I've got?

You can do, I won't be able to help you someone else might do. My only thought is that the mount is an older version and like you say, a slightly different model of polarscope is required.

FWIW, if you're only doing visual observations having a polarscope isn't absolutely essential. I use a CG5 mount for observing and it hasn't got a polarscope. All I do is get Polaris lined up in the middle of the hole where the polarscope should be and that is good enough for me.

Tony..

Hi Tony & anyone else who is browsing,

Here are 3 photos of the part of the polar mount I have, one on the EQ5, the EQ5 with ring removed & the side view of the ring it's self. Any help will be greatly appreciated. [ATTACH]24194[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24195[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24196[/ATTACH]

I realise that I can view things fairly easily by eye without being exactly polar aligned, but I am hoping to take photos & would like to get a better camera rather than a new EQ5 mount! :)

Regards,

Paul

Wonders will never cease, I do believe I've found the celestron 94221 polar scope, after a few hours of googling various word groupings! So all being well this problem will be solved in a few days when it arrives. :)

Thanks for a great site, :) with so much information to absorb. I just wish I had more time to browse, mind you the weather in North West Wales has not been conducive to star gazing ;)

Regards,

Paul

Archived