SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar scope question..

Hi guys.. me again with another dumb question :)

After owning my scope for a year and a half and struggling to get a perfect polart alignment for imaging (even using WCS - of which I am still struggling with!). I have fitted my dual mounting bar on the CG5 and have found that the scope has a polar scpoe fitted!! DOH...

Have read a couple of tuts on how to use the scope one of which is here: CG-5 Easy polar alignment using the polar scope. I have colminated the polar scope as per the instuctions, the part I'm confused about is:

'providing that reticle was turned in a right position, you got a reasonably good initial polar alignment'

The circlet/polar scope has no movement as is screwed in and resembles the image below. Should the circlet move depending on time of year? Or does polaris always sit to the NW of NCP ?

Confuesd :S

post-14196-133877381212_thumb.jpg

Hello "LaVey,"

I have a CG5 mount. You should be able to turn the Polarscope so that the reticule is positioned correctly.

Sometimes this can be difficult as when fitted in the mount, the Polarscope is usually pushed right up to the receiving "shoulder" (to allow you to fit the plastic protective cap over it when you've finished using the mount). Inside the Polarscope receiving hole in the mount, is a small rubber ring, and three small grey foam pads. these are there to cushion the Polarscope tube - and allow you to turn the polarscope tube to adjust. In time these "dry" and tend to grip the Polarscope Tube and stop it from being turned. When you try and turn it, all you end up doing is adjusting the focus of the Polarscope.

If the scope won't pull out - and to remove the Polarscope, you need to slacken off the three tiny silver knurledknobs - you can remove the whole of the Polarscope Mount from the CG5 head. It will be tight, but it does unscrew "anticlockwise." When you have remove the assembly, you will see the pads. After removing the Polarscope tube from its holder, you can wipe the tube with a tiny bit of washing up liquid, and do the same with the rubber ring inside the receiving part of the holder. Gently push the Polarscope Tube back into the receiving part - just until the inner end of the Polarscope tube clears the foam pads - then you will see that the tube has about 1/2" protruding from the outer end of the receiving part. This will allow you to turn the Polarscope tube in situ, whilst you are aligning it to the Pole Star.

This might sound complicated, but it's not!

I will post some photo's (by removing the Polarscope from my CG5 -if you wish - let me know.

Some other members of SGL may be able to point you to a "website" which might explain things a bit clearer!

Regards,

philsail1

post-13436-133877381313_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877381316_thumb.jpg

Hello "Lavey,"

Here are some photos of the Celestron Polar finder, and how it slides out of its holder. You can see the "pads" on the inside of the Polar scope holder. When you put the Polar Scope into its holder, leave about 3/4" sticking out to allow you to turn the Polar Scope until you have the large and small circles in the correct orientation.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

philsail1

post-13436-133877381375_thumb.jpg

post-13436-13387738138_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877381383_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877381385_thumb.jpg

post-13436-13387738139_thumb.jpg

Archived