NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY5 or DSI Mk 1?

I use OSC DSI's for guiding they are good at it.. but really only because i had them lying around...

The QHY5 is also a pretty good lunar planetary cam - when compared to the DSI... and theres less knitting back and fore to the PC involved with the QHY5 than with the the DSI... as only a single USB back to the laptop is required the mount connection being made direct to the camera...

A couple of shots I have seen from the QHY also make me think its more sensitive than the OSC DSI's ... havent owned a mono DSI so I dont know but they would be more sensitive than the OSC ones.

Depends how much you could get a DSI Mk1 for as well....

Peter...

Ah thanks for that Peter,Sounds like the QHY5 will be easyer to use.

Iam new to imaging so easy is better for me at the moment.

I shall have a word with the birthday fairy (I shall be 40 on Neil and Buzz's day)

Cheers

Daz:)

Hopefully a couplke of QHY5 owner/users will chirp in... I was goign to buy one as a combo Guiding / planetary but decided that I could dedicate a DSI on a 500mm f8 to the guiding so got a DMK for lunar/planetary instead...

Have a look at Roy's brill lunar images with the QHY5

I know Reggie , George and quite a few others are usign the QHY5 as a guidecam

Peter...

I use a DSI pro as a guidecam and don't see any reason to change. It's the mono camera, and is very sensitive. Like Nick, I never have any trouble at all finding a guide star.

You should be able to pick one up pretty cheaply too.

There's just the USB cable from the camera to the lappy, and then another cable from the lappy to the mount. As I have a big cable loom going to the scope and mount anyway, 1 extra cable makes no difference.

Cheers

Rob

Thank you every one. Thought there would be a clear winner on this one.

I guess its personal taste.Mmmmmmmmmmm. I like the idea of the ease with the QHY5 but then i like the idea of the sensitivity of the DSI.MMMMMMmmmmmmm

Its way too warm to think now. Have endured sports day today and then half hr Obsy building.Time for a cold one and a good nothing!

Cheers again Guys

Daz :)

"Had both...stuck with thje DSI...I found it more sensitive, and never fails to get a guide star "

......But then neither have I :) and it is a great lunar imager too and, there are people out there using it for DSO's with a fair bit of success too I might add. Take your pick !

Karlo

Yeah cheers Carlo,Think iam leaning towards the DSI .

I think the sensitivity sounds good,after all we are trying to capture as many photons as we can ! :)

Daz

Not for a guide star you ain't... enough is sufficient... The lunar planetary side with the QHY5 would be enough for me...

I own a Skynyx 2-0 for lunar and planetary, an Atik 314L (probably the most sensitive camera you can get (or one of) for deep sky, a 4021 9for wide deep sky), an LPI (purely for spectroscopy), and a modded EOS (for even wider deep sky...though it's still not been used much in anger).

I test cameras using AIP4WIN and calibrated light boxes for a few people/mags/companies

The DSI is more sensitive I found in a straight a/b comparison test on the same sky region, though I didn't run precise tests using the light box .. even the person who loaned me the QHY came to the same conclusion.

But, it's a good product, can't knock it, and well worth the money... so if you have one or think of getting one, they are good. and DSI's not easy to come by these days (though I know a man who has a few!)

Archived