Finally worked out the guide scope properly. M51 with loads more detail

Catanonia

I actually managed to work out how to use my guide camera and scope properly instead of pot luck with the focusing.

So I was setup and running within 30 mins targeted on M51 instead of leaving myself about 30mins of night remaining.

The following as 8 x 5min plus 3 x10min subs with darks applied to give 70mins total on M57 at ISO 800

I kept the ISO down deliberately to help reduce noise.

I am very please with the outcome after a bit of PS work and Noels tools. The detail has blown me away at what is possible with a ED120 and very very close to the longest day of the year at 53 north....

Definately going to add more data to this over the year to see what is possible.

post-16631-13387738071_thumb.jpg

It's a real buz when you get your first images, especially when you get the guiding going. That's a great first time image of M51, a lot better than most peoples first attempts. One tip with the post processing is not to raise the black point of the picture too much you will end up losing some of the finer detail. When adjust int the levels bring the black point for each RGB curve to just below where the histogram starts rising. Also dont adjust the white point and dont be too heavy handed with any midpoint adjustment :)

Regards

Kevin

Coming along very nicely, good colours in there.

I'd second what Kevin says....leave plenty of room to manoever round the black point all through your processing stages. You can always tighten it up later, and don't touch the white point at all.

I always adjust my midtones using curves.

Cheers

Rob

What Kev and Rob said... And make multiple small adjustments rather than fewer larger ones...

Save your work with new filenames at key stages especially if your going to try a couple of different processing ideas... Keep the resolution and bit depth at the highest practical settings until the very last stage..

Tackling gradients early on often makes processign the data a lot easier...

Peter...

Once you've stacked noise out, you can be left with a background that is not uniform across the image. That could be due to a "sky gradient", meaning that LP varies across the frame or it could be due to vignetting. If it's a diffuse nebula you've shot, it's hard to tell the software what is background and what is subject. That'll do until the experts say their bit. Google for "gradient xterminator" to find a software solution much in use by imagers.

Once you've stacked noise out, you can be left with a background that is not uniform across the image. That could be due to a "sky gradient", meaning that LP varies across the frame or it could be due to vignetting. If it's a diffuse nebula you've shot, it's hard to tell the software what is background and what is subject. That'll do until the experts say their bit. Google for "gradient xterminator" to find a software solution much in use by imagers.

thanks mate.

Noels PS tools has a soft and hard gradient remover, but not touched them yet.

Archived