NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

salt deposits on C6S corrector plate

I live directly on the sea. I know, a hard life but someone has to do it. The problem I have is salt spray and salt fog. I have a constant fight keeping the windows in our house nice and clear. Today I noticed that in spite of the precautions I take, the corrector plate on my C6S has tiny salt deposits on it. I learned the hard way many years ago with a 3 inch Edmond Scientific Newtonian the perils of cleaning mirrors and assume the same is true for corrector plates.

My intitution tells me to live with it until the density builds up sufficient to interfere with viewing. However, I don't know what effect these tiny little salt deposits will have on the corrector plate's coating if I leave them alone. Has anyone else had experience with salt deposits and know the best way to handle them? I'd appreciate any advice.

Joe

Sxinias Greece

Meade 2090AT refractor, 90 mm, f=800, f/8.9

Meade 2045LX3 SCT, 102 mm, f=1000, f/10

Celestron C6S SCT, 150 mm, f=1500, f/10

Meade DS2000 GOTO Alt/Az Mount

SkyWatcher SynScan GOTO Alt/Az Mount

Celestron CG5 Mount iOptron Nova GOTO

8x50 Binoculars

The worst that is going to happen is that the coating on the outer surface of the corrector plate will go ratty - which will at worst cost 10% light grasp, which is pretty well undetectable.

I have exactly the same problem. I don't worry about it. The worst thing you can do is wipe the corrector plate "dry" as the crystals will scratch ... when it worries me a lot I spray the surface very lightly with ordinary tap water (using a plant misting spray) then clean with lens cleaning solution (dilute isopropyl alcohol with a drop of detergent in it) & allow to dry naturally. No damage or signs of erosion of the coatings, so far. They're a bit tougher than most people give them credit for.

Thanks very much for the advice and the hint about googling. I really do appreciate it.

I did post my problem to some other forums and received similar advice. One person on another forum experienced this problem and recommed a solution similar to Biranb's. Other solutions were similar... washing with distilled water or water alcohol mistures.

Brianb. I was leaning toward using an older 102 mm SCT around the house most of the time and only using my C6S on items of interest when there is no wind. At the present time I am attempting to learn the skies and the 102mm SCT is more than good enough for that. I've had it for 25 years and I suspect it's coating is long gone as I cleaned the corrector plate many times with windix before I knew better. However, your experience gives me hope. After all, I didn't pay money for the larger C6S to have it sit in a closet while I use a smaller scope.

I also contacted Celestron who recommended that I send my scope to them for a maintence cleaning...something that I can not afford to do...the shipping costs along would eat up my annual astronomy budget and more.

Joe

Sxinias Greece

Archived