NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Snail Trail

Quite unbelievable but I found a tiny wee snail resting on the metal surround of the front corrector plate of my Schmidt Newtonian, and yes it had gone for a wee wobbly slimey walk across the glass.

a) do I bother cleaning it.

:icon_salut: suggested methods and cleaner concoctions would be appreciated

I have heard of Naptha being a very good cleaner as it evaporates quickly without leaving any residue.

I presume the snail got on my SNT front cover when I put it on the ground the other night.

Try steaming it, then remove the flesh from the shell and fry in garlic butter. Serve with toast and a little red wine.

Brings back memories of my trip to Paris....

a) do I bother cleaning it.

:icon_salut: suggested methods and cleaner concoctions would be appreciated

a) Probably a Good Idea , the wee slimey critter's residue may attack the coatings if left too long

:cool: "Head cleaning fluid" (25% isopropyl alcohol with a drop of detergent added) is probably a good starter. Allow to soak in then rinse with distilled water. If that doesn't work, re-apply & wipe lightly with an ancient, very well laundered handkerchief (the more times it has been washed the softer it will be). When you've shifted all the slime & grit, allow to dry then polish lightly with another "optical rag" to remove drying marks. Do NOT press ...

Thanks for the recipes, the critter was tiny so not much of a meal.

Cheers Brian I will carefully clean unfortunately I haven't any hankies to use so I need to get a decent, ie expensive, optical cloth.

Gently does it I think.

Anyone else ever cleaned a corrector plate?

Anyone else ever cleaned a corrector plate?

Yes. Not often but eventually the salt spray become too much. (One of the downsides of living on the coast .... ) No bother with Brian the snail though.

Try steaming it, then remove the flesh from the shell and fry in garlic butter. Serve with toast and a little red wine.

HehHehHeh!:icon_salut::D

That spluttered my Coffee onto my just cleaned Keyboard.

Ron.:cool:

Archived