NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 40D or Canon EOS 500D?

Hi!

I am thinking of getting a Canon DSLR and having it modified for astrophotography. Initially, I started looking for a second-hand 40D body, then I looked at the spec of the new 500D and was surprised to see how good it is. The 40D appears to have larger pixels, and I guess the body is of better quality, but these seem to be the only differences. So now I am confused, should I go for a second-hand 40D, or a new 500D? Can anyone out there put me out of my misery?

Thanks, Herrman :cool:

Some excellent info on here "Instrumentation tests" for the 40D, the 500D is very expensive at the moment, 500D is a consumer level camera, 40D is Prosumer so much better build, 500D has Video capability but it comes with a heavy price premium. If the intention is to mod all the additional features of the 500D are wasted, a modded 40D is an excellent astro camera.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Many thanks for your reply and sound advice. Yes, it does seem a waste to buy a camera with an arsenal of goodies that will be redundant if I have the thing modified. Thanks also for the link, I will browse it later this evening, but I think I will start looking for a second-hand 40D body. All the best Herrman.

Archived