Super polaris powered up

I bought a second hand super polaris about 4 weeks ago for £150. Had motors but no way of knowing whether they worked because no handset. The motors were the old 5 pin type not available anymore. The current Orion handsets wont work with them. so had a choice of getting AWR technology to make up a series 5 handset and hope that the motors work or playing it safe and buying new motors (££££). Well the AWR hand set arrived today and the motors work :lol::) :) :)

The AWR kit made by Alan Buckman exudes quality. It has sidereal and vso modes. Sidereal has 3 adjustment rates - guiding, up to x2 and up to x40. The fast adjust speed builds up gradually over about 5 secs. My motors don't have quite enough torque for x40 so i have to keep releasing and repressing but not a huge problem. I suspect the mount needs a good clean and regrease. Hope to get the set up tested at the star party, keen to try imaging with the ED80.

Have had an autoguide port fitted for an additional £30.

So if anyone is looking to get powered up I can recommend AWR. Not cheap but top spec kit

Archived