NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Speakers and subjects

irishbloke

I'm not actually involved in this, but I think what generally happens is that they find knowledgable people in the community and ask them to do a talk on their area of expertise.

You'll probably find a few of these people (at least) would be turning up to your meetings. So if you haven't already, maybe you should begin holding your meetings and just speaking yourself for the first few. This will give you time to find speakers from your new members.

One obvious talk to have this year are the apollo moon landings. I feel almost any area of astronomy would make for an interesting talk; space exploration, the planets (exo planets), cosmology, E.T. etc

The Royal Astronomical Society maintain a list of qualified speakers who are willing to give talks. These are mainly from Universities. Its also worth looking at the websites of local astronomical societies. These usually show their programme of speakers for the year. You can also approach local universities directly. Obviously travelling distance is a factor.

Further to the above post the RAS list of speakers is on the link; Royal Astronomical Society

Details of speakers at our society (Cleethorpes and District Astronomical Society) can be found on this link; http://www.cdas.synaptics.biz/

Details of all amateur astronomical societies including contact details are on the Federation of Astronomical Societies website at; Federation of Astronomical Societies - Member Societies

Most local society web sites give details of their programme of speakers for the year.

Hope this helps.

Archived